Dynamic Brake Pad Measurement System
PPS’s Dynamic Brake Pad Measurement System (DBPMS) captures the dynamic pressure distribution between brake pad and rotor surfaces during actual braking. The System operates accurately and reliably in the dynamic environment of brake pad testing in pressures up to 700 psi and temperatures up to 200C, providing quantitative and repeatable results. This real-world data capture enables designers to develop safe and highly effective brake designs.
Designed for automotive and brake pad manufacturers to evaluate the effectiveness of brake designs, DBPMS can measure surface pressures between the pad and rotor to the effectiveness of brakes in a dynamic, real-world setting during actual braking. The embedded sensor design is rugged enough to survive hundreds of cycles of actual braking in a moving vehicle while automatically compensating for temperature changes due to friction. DBPMS is the only brake pad pressure measurement system that takes testing out of the lab and puts it in on the road to test performance in real-world conditions.
The system consists of two dynamic brake pad sensors with embedded thermocouples. Using the included T4500 electronics with USB 2.0 interface to attach to a computer, the system runs PPS’s Chameleon image capture and analysis software. This industry-leading software is fully featured which means it can export replay, save test data, and perform analysis functions. Chameleon can also record and playback video with your data results for even greater insight and analysis.
Industrial Pressure Sensor for Automotive Brakes
KEY SYSTEM FEATURES AND BENEFITS:
- Sensors capture static and dynamic pressure profile so that testing can be done under real live driving conditions for developing the best product.
- Thermally compensated sensors are not affected by heat generated by friction. As a result, testing can be done accurately under changing temperature conditions that mimicreal world driving conditions while ensuring that heat generated by friction during braking does not affect results.
- Bonded sensor withstands shear forces, making the system suitable for testing under harsh driving conditions.
- Rugged design enables dynamic testing that can be performed during actual driving.
- High performance drive electronics allows for programmable re-configurability to handle many different sensor sizes.
- Proven track record for working with leading automotive customers including Nissan, Continental-TEVES, MANDO, Hyundai and Suzuki
- High performance capacitive sensing technology saves time and improves results by significantly reducing recalibration and repeated tests allowing developers to resolve problems and answer questions faster. Twice the repeatability, 5x better minimum pressure detection, and 50% better pressure sensing resolution compared to typical resistive tactile sensor technologies.
- Chameleon Visualization Software provides intuitive, easy to use, high-quality visualization and easy access to data for analysis and export to other applications. The software is fully featured which means export, replay, save, and analysis functions are included with every system, unlike competitors who require a paid upgrade for these features.
Application: Dynamic Brake Pad Pressure Measurements
Nissan wanted to dynamically measure the pressure exerted on brake pads during use
This also required automatically compensating for temperature changes due to friction.
PPS delivered a break-through sensor, embedded within the brake-pad that was able to measure the pressure profile inside the pad while in use.
Using embedded thermocouples the sensor also compensated for changing temperatures.
Nissan was able to measure surface pressures between the pad and rotor to determine the effectiveness of brakes in a dynamic, real-world setting during actual braking.